Saturday, March 18, 2006

my world this coming summer

Call me crazy, but I have taken a position with a company doing sales this summer on a commission basis. I am going to be selling ADT home security systems on a door-to-door basis, in New Jersey of all places. There are some obvious downsides and challenges associated with this move, but Wesla and I feel it has some significant potential benefits to our family in the long term.

By far, the most difficult thing about this summer is going to be the lengthy amount of time that Wesla and I are going to be apart. Another challenge is related to the stigma - and potential lack of income - associated with commission sales. The long term benefits essentially lie with my ability to do well in a summer job, selling a product that I can believe in, with the potential of making significantly more income than I could with a more traditional summer job. I am also really happy with the training that we have received up to this point, as I really do think the company gives its first year reps a very good idea about what they can expect in the field.

Since the beginning of this past school year Wesla and I pretty much decided that I would be working this summer - as opposed to taking summer courses like I did last summer. At the minimum level, that would require me to make enough money to cover my school expenses for my upcoming year (we really don't want to rack up any more student loans). For a while there I was seriously considering taking a plunge into the oil patch, but I have no experience doing that kind of work and I am not sure that I would be able to handle all of the physical demands associated with oil-field work. When this opportunity presented itself it seemed to be more of a match with my current skill set.

Anyway, as of yet, I haven't posted anything about my plans for the summer. As they stand, that is what I am planning to do.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if there would be an easier way to find work, here in Canada, like a work study kind of thing so you wouldn't have to leave the country to do door to door sales... Yikes!!!

That is something that I would think twice about seeing the way the culture of the Northeast is at this present time. But if that's your only solution, more power to you, you're gonna need it. I lived in the U.S. and I know how door to door salesmen are regarded!!

I know that there are opportunities in other provinces for work, but you'd have to see the webpage that talks about inter-province work programs maybe for students as well.

I know we have work related programs here in Montreal attached to houses of higher learning.

You might want to consider ALL of your options before you put up a tent in New Jersey. It's just a kind note of advisement, you can take it or leave it. I just dont want to see you waste an entire summer on door to door comissions. That does not bode will with me being from the U.S.

Commission only work is grueling and only serves the one who hired you in the end. It's just a thought.

Jeremy

3/21/2006 1:34 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex: