Wednesday, June 01, 2005

a teacher's integrity

We had a very interesting discussion in our ed 2500 class today relating how a teacher is to handle potentially controversial issues in the classroom. This all started with some of the content in a story that my Teacher Associate is reading to her grade five class, it is called Bridge to Terabithia. Part of what was so shocking to me was the overt references to Christian faith in the content of the story, even to the point where it went into some significant detail of Christian belief - and we must remember that this is a public school. When I spoke to the teacher after the class about this kind of content being allowed in the classroom, she explained that this book has been approved as an appropriate resource in the Alberta curriculum and so there are no issues about this book being used. She further elaborated that if the content of her lessons dealt in any way with some of the finer theological points she would speak to her students about the different religious beliefs that people hold.

This issue really became interesting when it came time to discuss it with my peers back at the university during our seminar session. The moment I related this question to the class, there was instantly a stream of discussion coming from all angles. A deeper level of significance was uncovered when we considered the question, "What is a teacher to do when he or she is called to teacher material in the curriculum that is in conflict with her or his own personal views?"

Is it possible to have integrity as a teacher while at the same time teaching a lesson that contradicts his or her own value system? To what extent should a teacher challenge the system? Is a teacher to simply teacher the material as the curriculum demands or hit the road?

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg Silver said...

There will be times in your life and in any career will you will come to a crossroad with a policy or "way of doing things" that conflict with your personal beliefs.

For me, I've always tried to follow my faith first and a job or career second as I can always find a job or career later. My faith is what defines me - not my job. If I give in to worldly ways then I'm my character is tarnished overall your integrity means very little.

In your case, I think a teacher's integrity doesn't come from how they follow the rules of an institution but rather how they live their life in accordance to Christ (regardless whether it's a Christian institution or not).

Whenever the laws of man conflict with the laws of God - I chose to follow God. It's as simple as that.

6/02/2005 11:04 a.m.  
Blogger Matt Thompson said...

I wonder if it is our place? Is it our role to be bringing Christianity, or any religion into this context? Are the students inviting it, or are we just assuming that they want to hear it? Somehow I doubt that the freedom of Christ translates into the freedom to break rules whenever we think it is necessary. Are we not violating our integrity by breaking these rules, no matter how well intentioned?

6/02/2005 7:06 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in High School - a secular High School, I took a Bible History class, with an instructor who did not share her own religious faith with us, but we were given the opportunity to explore and learn about biblical history.

The sharing of religious teachings in school is a very tedious topic. and what is the right solution? Living ones faith, and sharing ones faith for me (at my age) now, is important, but one must temper religious faith within the walls of a teaching institution, whether that be secular or a bit more open ( a religious school).

Knowing how to treat this topic will only come through experience. It is a hot topic here in Montreal. Faith in the schools and the sterilization of faith teachings to secular students.

The rise of Islam and the high density Jewish faith here in Montreal has caused quite a stir within the walls of mother catholic church. It has torn communities apart as well as friends and students who sit on the lines and watch their parents haggle over what is right and wrong.

6/02/2005 9:13 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting situations. I take it that the book is more favourable to Christianity? If so, it may be because there are a fair number of formerly private Christian schools which have become members of local public school boards in the last number of years. As well, at least in the Edmonton Public system, there are specific "Christian" programs. I wonder if that recent political history has anything to do with it.

On the other hand, my wife teaches high school English at one of the "christian" schools within our public system - and there are always interesting times when she picks a book which "challenges" Christian faith on the reading list.

I've overheard more than one parent phone call over the years!

6/04/2005 12:42 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex: