Wednesday, September 06, 2006

humbled by a softball

I am back in Lethbridge and I am back into the swing of my Education program, which is great in many ways, but that is not the subject of my post today...

This past weekend my wife had me join her weekend softball team for a tournament in Okotoks... and I have never sucked at anything so bad in my entire life! Mind you I haven't played a game of ball this entire year and I was thrust into a competitive tournament at the end of the ball season, but that is just me making excuses. I struck out twice, and nearly every occasion when I got on base was due more to a poor play by the opposing team than to any ability that I was demonstrating with the bat. My hitting was poor, but my play in the field was absolutely terrible. On two occasions (in the same inning no less) I mis-read the distance on a fly ball as it was coming into right field, which resulted in the ball soaring over my head and rolling into the fence. In fact I didn't manage to catch a fly ball the entire weekend, and by the end I was praying that no hits would come in my direction.

I am a competitive guy. I like to do well. This was an absolutely humbling experience. On the bright side, Wesla also has me playing "Fall Ball" with another team in a much less competitive format. So, hopefully I will be able to shake off the cobwebs before winter sets in.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to have you back where you belong. And what classes are you taking this fall?

All is well in Montreal.

Jeremy

9/12/2006 11:13 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex: