Friday, June 10, 2005

steppin' it up, perhaps, we'll see

This last weekend was Wesla and I took part in our youth camp, which was held at Waterton Park. Not only was the experience a lot of fun, it was remarkably refreshing in a number of ways. It has been a while since I have had the opportunity to hang out with a bunch of young people for an extended period of time, and it was great to be able to cut loose and get a little bit stupid. There was a lot of adult help at the camp, so I wasn't worrying about logistics the whole time, I was actually able to spend quality time with the campers.

Out of the twenty-five or so campers about eight of them brought their guitars, and we were able to have some great jam sessions. Some of them were really into helping out with the worship sets, there were up to six of us leading the songs at one time! We were also able to bust out some great games of Axis & Allies and Settlers of Catan into the wee hours of the morning.

This is a time of transition for the youth group at our church as Lisa Latimer, who has been the youth leader at Central Church of Christ for the past three years or so, has just moved to Calgary with her husband - where he just got a new job. The opportunity that is presenting itself, combined with the experience of this past weekend has really got me searching and discerning about what role (if any) I should (or could) play within the context of this ministry.

My primary concern about getting involved is centered around my ability to do a good job with the youth, while at the same time being able to maintain my commitments to my family, and to my studies at the University. Pastor Wes and I have been speaking about this at some length, and there seems to be a good possibility that sharing the responsibility with a second leader might be a solution to this issue.

I am going to be helping out with the youth event tonight and I am looking forward to seeing what transpires.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search Popdex: